“Ferrin Pond Conservation Area”,”



Before the consolidation of the town’s neighborhood schools, the District 7 School was located near the rock, and was known as the Toad Rock School. Miss Celeste E. Bush, who had been a student at the school, was so fond of the rock that she had her nearby home built to resemble it, with two dormers in the front and a saltbox type roof sloping toward the ground in the back. When the town closed the school, there was some discussion of Vijverbenodigdheden the rock to New York, but the idea was abandoned when no freight car could be found that could carry the weight.

As a last interesting tidbit, this granite is part of the same volcanic activity that formed Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park. The CBI program was started on Wilson Lake in 2003, where each summer weekend boats entering and leaving the lake are inspected for invasive plants. Community business partners sponsor inspection weekends and a poster advertising their services is displayed in the FOWL kiosk at the boat ramp.

Two of those sons, James and Daniel, ran the yard after their father’s death, while two other sons, Gordon and Elisha, began a second yard at Strait’s Bridge, now known as the Golden Spur area. James and Daniel Beckwith, in response to a demand for larger vessels, moved the original shipyard to New London in the early stages of the Civil War. By the late 1890s, the farm was being managed by Smith’s younger brother, Herman W. Smith, and his nephew, Frank A. Harris. Around 1900, these two gentlemen married two sisters, Lula and Florence Munger, also from Niantic. On October 13, 1921, William H. H. Smith transferred the entire property, now 145 acres, to Smith and Frank Harris.

Lucretia’s Spring is named for a Nehantic woman who is supposed to have waited by the spring for the return of her lover. There is a cupstone on the property, whose markings have been at various times attributed to ancient Celts, or possibly ancient Libyans. A monument to the Nehantics once buried in the area was dedicated on November 5, 2006 by the East Lyme Cemetery Association. This is in the same area of the park that was once occupied by Seaside, a tuberculosis sanitarium which was located here from 1919 to 1934, before moving to Waterford.

Since the end of 2019, we have been collaborating with Famiflora, Belgium’s largest garden centre. During the War of 1812, as the British blockaded Long Island Sound, the Beckwiths became concerned about the safety of the shipyard and its crafts. With the help of neighbors, the boats were brought farther up into Keeney Cove.

Trails crisscross the ridgeline, with many points of interest along the way. One of these, Baker’s Cave, is supposedly named for a local man who hid in the cave to avoid military service during the American Revolution. After the company went bankrupt in 1922, a local developer named Charles Brockett operated a campground on the property for several years. Belgian football is seen as a proving ground for Europe’s top footballers, and some famous players to have worn S.V.

(At least one Niantic quarryman, Walter Brailey, claimed that the government never paid him for the stones.) The flagstones used to pave the walks and terrace of the pavilion came from Devil’s Hopyard State Park in East Haddam. Each of the state’s parks and forests in existence at the time supplied a tree for the interior wooden pillars. Big Lake is located in Washington County, and at approximately 4,227 hectares in size, is one of the largest lakes in Maine. The waterbody feeds into the west branch of the Saint Croix River after passing through Long Lake, Lewy Lake, and the Grand Falls Flowage.

Each of the basins has its own watershed, which when combined, encompass a total area of approximately 46 square miles. The large combined watershed areas include the additional towns of Washington and Somerville, situated to the north of the lake. Neither town has frontage on Damariscotta Lake, but the headwaters of several substantial tributary streams are situated in these two communities. We have demonstrated in behavioural experiments that success in capturing prey from surfaces in ‘trawling Myotis’ (Leuconoë-type) depends on the acoustic properties of the surface on which the prey is presented. Two types of surface structure were ensonified with artificial bat signals to probe their acoustic characteristics.

To render the impounded water suitable for making natural ice, a 10-inch cast-iron siphon was installed to evacuate the saltwater. Of bat predation by many owl species in the literature is absent, owing to the elusive and nocturnal nature of many species. The Mottled Owl is a common forest dwelling owl with an extremely large distribution throughout much of Central and South America. Herein provides photographs of bat predation by the Mottled Owl and a brief overview of the current dietary literature.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.